Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Bob's Knee 2.0

If you know my dad you know his knee.
It was an old soccer injury from college, back in the dark ages of medicine where instead of fixing the knee, they just tore out everything. So instead of some cartilage between his bones he has bone on bone...sounds like fun.

I think the general public has prescribed a new knee for Bob for many years, but I think he was hesitant to jump on the original "hack and stack" old knee replacement they came up with about 10 years ago. So it is 2008, and he is finally convinced that the Doctors know what they are doing and he will go under the knife later this month.
He went to "knee camp" on Monday which must be a bunch of 60-something former athletes sitting around a doctors office pretending they are inmates at a prison...."So what are you in for?" Then they all give their back stories on how they tweaked-up their knees.
Almost like an AA meeting...the scene at Knee Camp goes something like this.
Bob - "Hi, my name is Bob, this is my first time at knee camp."

The Group - "Hi, Bob."

Bob - "I blew my knee out in the 60's and some doctor hacked me up pretty bad...now I really don't know what to do, I mean people tell me I need a new knee, and it hurts....it hurts pretty bad." (some tears are shed here, and a rather large woman hobbles over to Bob and hugs him...)

Large Woman - "It's OK Bob, let it out."
Bob - "All I want to do is ride my horse, shoot my guns and play with my grand kids...and I am scared, really scared that this won't help."
80 year old golfer - "It's OK Bob, we are all here for you."
And "boom" like that dad came back from Knee Camp with a new lease on life, his knee is getting fixed, which should straighten it back out and make his left leg as long as his right leg while standing. He won't have to buy size 36 x 32 x 30 Wranglers anymore, and Penny won't have to hem up the left leg of his dress pants any more.
I'll keep you updated on Bob's Knee version 2.0 throughout the surgery and recovery process, and I think since I am family I am not violating any HIPAA Laws.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very funny!! can't wait to see the next installment! Sal