Friday, October 19, 2007

Lost Dog...finally found...Another epic story by: Tom Glanzer

The following is a quote from the movie Billy Madison starring Adam Sandler.

SCENE - Kindergarten teacher Miss Lippy just finished reading a book about a little boy who lost his dog. (some words have been changed or removed to protect the innocent)

BILLY - Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that dog!!!"

I felt like Billy Madison last night.

Around 6pm Maxim, Brecken and I put on our rain gear and went outside to enjoy some fresh air, big puddles, strong winds and driving rains...sounds like fun, right, and extremely good parenting.

The dogs had been couped up in the kennel for 2 days because of the rain, rain, rain and more rain for the last 5 days, so we decided to let them out. I put Lilly's "hearing aid" on and let them rip...they had tons of energy and were happy to stretch their legs.

As the boys and I splashed in puddles, Annie and Lilly did what hunting dogs do. After 20 minutes of fun, I put the boys in the house for Steph to clean up for supper and I called the dogs to the kennel. Lilly came right away...Annie, my 11 year old German Shorthair Pointer didn't.

I walked to the places around the yard where she likes to sniff around and called for her, but nothing. After about 45 minutes I went into the house and ate, only to go right back outside.

I think I walked about a 1.5 miles and drove about 8 miles looking for her in rain, wind and darkness. The whole time thinking this was the end of the Annie-era.

Annie is actually Steph's dog from before we were married, Steph's dad trained it and fed it for the first year of it's life...so Annie still likes Roger better than me...in fact, if we hunt together, Annie hunts in front of Roger, not me.

Annie is the dog that I will judge all of my dogs by. She is a tireless birddog and has given me some of the greatest hunting stories ever...just ask my dad about pheasant-roping on the somewhat frozen James River.

Annie slept with Steph and I for 4 years...right there either in bed or at the foot of the bed. There are times now that I feel bad about not having her in the house, because she knows how good things are "living with the humans". Annie even has her own song, "Anna-bella". Ask Steph to sing it for you. I guess you could say Annie was our dog-child...I think a lot of new married couples have them, the dog they treat like a king.

With all those years of faithfulness tucked under her collar, there was no way I was going to let her weather the cold, wet, rainy night alone...besides 100's of years ago dogs never slept outside...right?

I called our neighbors who are Deputy Sheriffs and asked if they would look for Annie on their way home...did I mention they are dog lovers? I thought we were going to have a Blackhawk Helicopter commissioned from Gov. Rounds to assist in the search and rescue effort! Our neighbors rock!

So I hiked, drove, walked along the shore, road lines, ditches, fell down steps, jacked my elbow and knee up...but still...nothing. She didn't answer to the whistle, and I saw nothing with the flashlight, and I was mad.

I had basically given up, and was walking back to the house 3.5 hours she had been gone, it was dark, damp and dreary...I kept wondering how I would find her, dead or alive.

I was a city block away from the house...and knew I would feel guilty all night in a warm bed, while she was injured, stuck or just plain confused out in the elements. I blew my whistle one last time...tweet, tweet, tweet....I heard a little rustle and pointed my head-lamp in the direction I heard it come from...there was Annie!

I gave her a great big hug and carried her for a couple steps, she looked at me like, "you can put me down now." I have no idea what she was doing or where she had been, I was just happy to see her. Kind of like the prodigal son coming home...

I got her in the garage, dried her off and gave her a whole can of Lamb & Rice dog food that is always a special treat. Steph came out to see her, and scolded her a little bit for making us worry.

Annie had an adventure last night, although I am not quite sure what or where it was, and so did I.

Hunting season opens tomorrow, and I will be hunting with both dogs.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of new married couples have them, the dog they treat like a king.

You mean thats a choice to treat them that way? We are kind of forced into it. She owns the place, we're just living there for now.

Good story, cuz. What you've just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent story were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this blog is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

:)

Anonymous said...

Tom -
I know you got it, but apparently some people (mom) are worried that I was being mean.

That last pargraph was a paraphrased quote from Billy Madison.

Stop looking at me, Swan!

Anonymous said...

I glad we got that cleared Up : ) I was worried one of you might not come to the Next Glanzer reunion in 5 years : ) Gloria