Monday, October 02, 2006

A fun and needed night off...

I spent Sunday in Sioux Falls teaching hockey referees the finer points of how to take abuse from over zealous hockey moms and dads who think their kid will play for the Gophers some day. I am ready for some ice time, playing and with the stripes on.

After the classes, I drove by the old house and stopped in to visit the old neighbors, Matt and Becca. Ironically they were eating...so I invited myself to the table, and downed a great bar-b-que. It was nice to catch up even though it's only been a few weeks...the kids miss Maxim, and I know he misses his Sioux Falls homies as well.

So Monday rolls around and I kicked out more work than should be corporately leagal for one person on a Monday...I finished at the office around 11:30 pm...but I did run home for a few hours after 6:15 pm to hang with the family. That 3 hours was the best 3 hours I have had with the boys for a long time.

As most of you know I love my mountain bike and just getting out and pedaling...even if it is on pavement. Maxim got a bike for his birthday from G-ma and G-pa Decker and he rode it right away, but after a little nasty spill he shelfed it for a while. Until last night!

Steph mentioned that Maxim was full of the dickens, so I thought I would burn some gas out of Mr. Energy. I asked if he wanted to go to the park, and he got stoked to go, so I threw it out that we were biking there. He on his bike and me on mine. There is a soccer complex about 4 blocks from mom and dad's house, and they just put in a small playground, so that was the plan.

HE ROCKED! Cruised all the way...I helped him across the busy street, and he only needed help one time, going over the "big mountain"...it was an approach to get into a parking lot. We played until "dark came out" and rolled back home. Mark that one up as Favorite Fathering Moment #476.

We were all suprised, he rode a little a couple days ago (see pictures) on the sidewalk, so this was BIG TIME.

Tomorrow there is some big "Yeah Huron" thing at the Huron Events Center that Steph and I are going to, so another night of no progress, but Wednesday will be a good night...I'm well rested...kind of.

By the way did you know that if you don't shut off the breaker to an old 220 volt outlet for an oven and then cut the wire, you get a shock and big blue flames shoot out. Just another story for the the old blog.

No comments: