Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What Kind Of Camera Should I Get?

Since Steph and I have a photography studio I get asked a lot what is the best camera.  The answer is it depends.  For my professional work I shoot on a Nikon, but that is what I have always shot on since college, so it is what I am comfortable with.

If you want to be an awesome hockey mom and capture 800 frames during every game, get a DSLR.  You are going to spend about $1,500 by the time it is all done.  Also, get a couple of good lenses a longer one and one for general use.  I suggest Nikon and Cannon models.

If you are looking for something to go in a purse or a bag, get a good point and shoot.  Steph and I call it our "grab camera".  Which means you grab that one and it is all you need.  I don't have to lug around my full photo kit and worry about kids stepping on it, or sitting on it or having it get jacked out of the car.  Our "grab cam" is a Canon SX30 IS.  It shoots great 1080 video and takes a great picture.  All of our video of Brecken wrestling is shot with this camera. 

The biggest thing I will tell you to spend money on is "IS" which stands for Image Stabilization or "VR" Vibration Reduction.  It will cost more, but it is WORTH it.

Here is a good blog about the subject of point and shoot vs. DSLR.  I think the main thing about shooting good pictures is shooting a lot of them to get comfortable with your camera, and experimenting with the settings.  Oh yeah, that little book that comes with the camera....read that thing too.

No comments: