Monday, February 15, 2010

Oh Canada...

The Olympics always captures my attention, I think it started in 1980 with the hockey team. My sister always made me watch figure skating too, which somehow gave me a guilty pleasure of liking dudes with better skating skills than mine.

Nonetheless, it is Olympic season again, and this year it is in Canada...our friends to the North. I love Canada...don't get me wrong, but lately on ESPN.com there has been a bit of fighting about Canada's inability to host and do well at the Olympics. Rick Reilly, who is one of my favorite sports writers posted this apology after writing this story.

The thing reminded me of a conversation I had with a Canadian hockey coach prior to a game a few months ago. He wondered if we were playing both anthems (not sure how that was going to affect his game plan) but I knew the PA announcer was going to play them both.

So off the cuff I said, "you mean the American National Anthem and our American National Anthem For Canada?"

He said, "what???"

I said, "Oh, Canada"..."it is really just a love song from a powerful, strong and protective man to his loving woman who needs him to take care of her."

Think of the words...Americans should really be singing Oh, Canada to Canadians.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.


Yes Canada "WE", being America, stand on guard for thee...after all, if you were to not like us where else would all our really macho American men go fishing and elk hunting.

No comments: