Monday, April 06, 2009

A night as a waiter...

James Valley has a fund raiser event each year that is a dinner theatre format...think the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre in Minneapolis, but with farmers and house wives doing the acting. Which actually makes this dinner theatre better than the ones in big cities.

Steph and I volunteered to help as wait-staff for the last night of the event. We were assigned our 3 tables, and I was pleased to notice that one of our tables was Steph's family and a couple other families I know, and then my boy Chris H. and some other folks were at another, so I was in for a good night of fun...and my first ever waiter experience.

I was doing great, and hadn't ticked anyone off or spilled coffee, when I heard from a table behind me, "hey boy, get me some coffee...", or something to that effect.

"Hello, Verlie." I said in my best Jerry Seinfeld to Newman voice.

Looks like "VJ the Great" got his tickets a bit late and ended up in the back row, but in just the right place to give me a hard time all night long. For the record, his wife was a pleasure to be around as she always is, but Verlie must have forgotten this was a "high class event".

He hounded me all night, and even threatened to write bad things on the blog if I didn't take care of him, so for about 5 minutes I tried to do what he wanted, then I thought, "Wait, he complains about me all the time on this website anyway so why should I be nice to him?". So I spent the rest of the night giving him a hard time.

I finished the night without spilling a drop of coffee, water or anyone's food, so it was a success, and I think Verlie had a good time as well. Next year I will request a different area to serve, or maybe I will actually request Verlie's table.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy, you are a "Sweatheart", not quite as nice as your Lovely Wife, but I can tell she has been working on you and you are improving, but it will be a long while before you are "Near Perfect"! You say such nice things about me, really I do not think that I deserve them, but thank you anyway. In the future I will try and say only nice things about you.

Verlie

Anonymous said...

verlie don't go soft on me