Thursday, March 12, 2009

Coming Clean On Self Haircuts.

Last night while Maxim and I were in Wal-Mart I noticed his hair was a complete mess in the front, which was to be expected because he was wearing a stocking hat all day at recess and then on the way to the store. I tried to fix it so he didn't look totally a mess, but couldn't get his head to cooperate. Maxim's hair has a lot of cowlicks so this is not out of the ordinary for him.
Then I noticed that his hair seemed a TON shorter in one spot than the rest of his head, I couldn't blame it on his hair stylist, since I share a bed with her, so I said, "Maxim, did you cut your own hair?"

He got a sheepish smile on his face and said, "But it was bugging me, am I in trouble?" I couldn't stop laughing at him, "No, you are not in trouble, but we are going to take a picture and send it to mommy."

Apparently, in school, he got bored with a scissors and took a chunk of hair off the front. He's artistic, so it might be his first "expression" with his hairstyle. I laughed it off, and Steph got on him a little bit, but she laughed as well.

I didn't know what would possess him to cut his own hair, until a repressed memory came back into my head this morning. I too had cut my own hair at one time when I was about his age, but I blamed it on the barber, Ivan L.

I don't remember the whole story, but I had recently got a hair cut and was combing my hair and one piece kept flipping up in the back, so I got out a scissors and chopped it off, thinking I had solved the problem.

My mom noticed and asked me if I cut my hair, I said, "No" of course, because I thought I would get into trouble. She must have figured that Ivan the Barber did it and she said, "Well, we aren't going back to him." I kind of remember being bummed, because he had this cool suit of armor in his barber shop that I liked to look at.

Soon after that Ivan the Barber went out of the hair cutting business, and my 7 year old mind couldn't help but think I had something to do with the downfall of his Hair Cutting Empire.

Wow, I feel better now that I got that off my conscience. So mom when you read this...I'm sorry I lied to you, and Ivan if you read this blog, I'm sorry about ruining your business 20-some years ago.

Also, Ivan if you still have the suit of armor I would be willing to buy that from you, as a peace offering for single-handedly ruining your barber shop business.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgiven, I also remember he cut Sally's hair so short she refused to go back to him. I have no idea why I took her there in the first place, Must have been the price of the hair cut. Mom

Anonymous said...

he has a lot of cowlicks? You guys at the farm often?