Monday, February 16, 2009

Running Outside Pays Better.

Since I was at home for the last few days with our new little girl, I was away from my gym, and wasn't in my normal workout routine. So to change things up a bit I ran outside instead of on a treadmill. Runners know that running outside during the winter takes about as long to get ready for as it does to run the 5 miles.

I put on 2 base layers and my running suit and the full face fleece hat and headed outside. I always feel like I run harder outside and that is because of the change in grade, which is usually just a solid 2% when I am on the treadmill. So the payoff at the end of the day is always better when you run outside, not to mention the cool stuff you find beside the road.

I have never found anything at my feet while I run on a treadmill, I do get the pleasure of watching ESPN or CNN while I run, but in the Great Wide Open you see "stuff". Roadkill, tarp straps, old shoes, life jackets and clothes, it's crazy what ends up in ditches around a lake. Most of the stuff I never even think about touching, unless it's a screwdriver or a good pair of sunglasses. On Saturday, I found something and then actually looked around to see if there was anymore of it laying around. Right there on the side of the road a nice $20 bill. I didn't find any more money, but it made my run that much more enjoyable.

I bet more people would run or walk outside if they knew they had the chance of picking up a $20.

Now that I post this, I assume you will all comment about how you lost a $20 the other day out by Lake Byron...while you were running.

2 comments:

mytzpyk said...

I was riding.

Anonymous said...

I work with Tim Steele and he passed this onto me - thought I would like it. HE WAS RIGHT!! Great thoughts on running, and you are SO RIGHT - running outside, even in the cold will beat any day running on a treadmill (unless you are visiting Houston, TX in August). I have run a couple of marathons now, and love to get out and run at lunch, great way to clear the head - especially in the middle of the day! Hope this note finds you doing well. Tim says HI