Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Zamboni.

"There are 3 things in life that people love to stare at, a crackling fire, a flowing stream and a Zamboni cleaning the ice." - Charlie Brown, Peanuts

"This office needs to be Zambonied!" Me, about 3 hours ago.

I sat down in my office today with piles of junk every where, I started thinking wouldn't it be great if when I left for lunch or the evening a little Zamboni would come out of a garage and sweep up all of my "ice shavings" from the day.

That got me thinking how many times this year I have seen a Zamboni, or if I was in Watertown an Olympia, come on to the ice to give me a clean sheet to skate on.

With reffing and coaching the mini-mites I estimate that a Zamboni cleaned up after me, and a bunch of other skaters about 230 times since October.

Zamboni Facts:
It takes about 12 minutes to flood the ice.
The average Zamboni travels about 2,000 miles a year around the ice rink's surface.
When the Zamboni comes on to the ice it is carrying about 1,200 pounds of hot water.
When finished with the rink the Zamboni is carrying about 1,500 pounds of snow shavings.
A Zamboni travels about 3 miles per hockey game.
The Zamboni made it's Olympic debut in 1960.
The first Zamboni's were built on Model "A" and Jeep chassis.
Zamboni is actually the company name, Frank Zamboni started the company, the actual name is Ice Resurfacing Machine...how boring would it be if we all called it that?

2 comments:

twipf said...

you forgot one more face: "In Pierre, the driver can zamboni the entire rink in under 5 minutes." Have you witnessed this? Great post by the way, I love the zamboni, and it was once voted by fans one of the most relaxing things an individual can do. Kind of ironic since it happens at a hockey game....

Anonymous said...

Like the Gear Daddies sang.........: "I wanna drive the Zamboni!"