Thursday, February 07, 2008

Regulator Robert...continued.

Writer's note: I'll admit I didn't know this would turn into an epic blog-novel...I actually got bored while writing it the first night and just left it as a cliff hanger. The next installment was going to be the last, and then I saw how insane it drove Verlie that I didn't write anything for about 3 days, so that gave birth to the epic it has become. (This is a good thing because my real life has been super routine lately.)


KA-ZZZZZING!

"Bullets make sounds in the air," was one of the thoughts running through the cowboy's head as he ran his trusty steed Cookie the last 40 meters.

The other thought was, "what is going on here?". "Have I wronged someone that's looking for revenge, have I been mistaken for wild game, is someone looking to take my horse." When you don't have a known enemy or arch nemesis it is hard to know what puts you in predicaments like this.

Finally he made it to cover...he had some time to clear his head and think about his next step. He tried yelling.

"Hey, quit shooting at me!"

"Hey, there is people out here!"

His voice was cracking with fear like a 14 year-old boy going through puberty...but he couldn't help it.

"Why are you shooting?"

"I have a wife and kids."

"Please...let me live!"

KA-ZZZZZZING...another shot.

The wind was strong and blowing from the Noreast, causing his pleas for help to rush away in the wrong direction with the dust and blowing snow.

The gunman was a good 300 meters away or more. He wondered if he could fashion an old style sling shot out of his saddle's flank cinch and some latigo strapping. He had seen a moving picture show about David and Goliath one time and he was pretty sure he could fling a rock a couple hundred feet or more at his attackers.

KA-ZZZZZING....KAZZZZZZZING....KAZZZZZZZING.

They were really bearing down on him now.

The crafting of a Biblical era slingshot seemed like his only defense in case this came down to a fight, but the thought of wrecking $80 worth of tack to throw a rock to save his own life seemed too expensive...so he sat there...like a gopher trapped in his hole. He got mad at himself for being so cheap.

If only he would have brought his unwired communication device along on this ride he could have called the sheriff for back up. That piece of technology too was not within his reach...just like the old gunfighter's Colt .45 and it's custom made holster.

He had to sit and wait for the fight to come to him...or did he...

(To be continued.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't be to hard on verlie. he has a lot of pressure in moving you know. hope sharon can get it all done

Anonymous said...

More Tom, Please more, NOW! I have not slept for 3 days, now I suppose 3 more sleepless nights.

Anonymous said...

Tom,
I am one of your dad's best friends,Phil. I remember the day I shot myself in the leg about 42 years ago. I was quick drawing with my .22 single action Colt Revolver. Somehow as I was drawing my gun out of its holster my thumb slipped off the cocking hammer and my gun went off while it was in my holster...needless to say the bullet went though the calf of my leg without hitting any bones and healed quite well. I went to the doctor and he just told me to get rid of that gun but I still have it to this day...have a great day....Phil