Thursday, December 06, 2007

Preparing my team for the big game...

As a lot of you know I coach the Huron All-Stars Mini-Mite hockey team...our first game is this Sunday. Well, that is if you call a bunch of 4,5 and 6 year olds playing "Herd Hockey" during the period breaks of a Varsity game our first game.

I am a little bit nervous that my team isn't ready for the big show yet, I still have 3 kids skating with the aid of chairs...used like a walker. 4 kids haven't showed up with sticks, even though I tell them they need them every practice. I have a few first generation hockey parents that insist on, even after my coaching, putting the hockey equipment on the outside of their jerseys and simply tying the kids' skates without tightening them up...leaving them with the impossible to skate on "floppy ankle".

Most coaches worry about the team running the breakout right, or staying in the "system", working the forecheck, and staying out of the penalty box...I have to worry about players wizzing in their breezers, crying because they don't want to skate backwards and having no idea where to go when I tell them to play "left wing".

The trials of a mini-mite coach.

Really its more of a comedy show...like clowns falling out of a VW Bug. My players will fall out of the entrance gate, start wobbling all over and running into each other, all the while the theme song from Peanuts is playing over the loud speaker. Then my son Maxim will yell to the crowd..."ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?" (A little Gladiator reference there)

So if you are in the area and interested in a good laugh at the future hockey prospects of the Huron All-Stars...Sunday at 5pm...Bergman Arena.

I'll be the guy herding the cats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did the game go? Anyone "wizz" in their breezers?
Brent