Monday, October 29, 2007

Another Dog Story

Last week was spent mostly in the great outdoors of South Dakota chasing pheasants. My dogs, Annie, 11 year old German Shorthair Pointer and Lily, 5 year old English Pointer, accompanied me through just about every field. They were tired by Wednesday when we rumbled into Bridgewater, South Dakota to hunt with some friends from Sioux Falls and Minnesota.
The day was great, birds were good and the 4 dogs we had were working good. The last field of the day I was going to leave my 2 bird dogs in the kennel, but when I noticed the beautiful full section of CRP I couldn't walk away from the Expedition with thier whining...I knew they would get at least 4 days of nothing but kennel rest after that run.

They had plenty of water, but half way through the field, Lily collapsed. She started seizing and her eyes were dilated, I thought for sure I would bury her in that field. We reacted pretty good according to the vet I talked to. We carried her out, got her to a truck, cooled her down with water and fed her a can of dog food.

3 hours later she was back to normal, or as normal as a dog would be after 5 days of hunting. I was having severe concerns about walking through the door and telling Maxim and Steph Lily was gone. Thanks to Rima for running a half mile with a gallon of water and a bowl and Jim J. for getting us to the "buffet" in a hurry.

Lily loves her food, but that day she didn't get enough.

No comments: