Wednesday, August 22, 2007

DakotaFest

I'm working in Mitchell this week at our public relations booth for the DakotaFest. It is a super big ag-based expo in the middle of an alfalfa field on the south side of Mitchell.

I understand enough about farming and ranching to be a dangerous visitor with people involved with the industry. Mostly "salt of the Earth" kind of people that could talk for 4 hours about rain and weather.

One guy came up to our booth and said..."What the heck are you guys selling here?" So being a smart alec I said, "Electricity on demand." It took me 20 minutes to explain to him what the "power company" actually did. He had no idea how power got to his farm/ranch opperation and didn't even know who he paid for the service. "The wife does that." Well, the wife showed up 5 minutes later, and she didn't know the name of the company either. Makes me wonder what kind of opperation they run. I am about as removed from bill paying as anyone could be and I even know who we pay.

Maxim's first full day of Pre-K was today. Steph had a meeting and I'm out of town so grandma dropped him off at his first day. Pretty speical for her.

I just talked to him and he is already in school-boy mode...

ME: So buddy what did you learn today?
Maxim: Nothing.
ME: What was your favorite thing?
Maxim: I don't know.

So it has officially started. The breakdown in communication between my child and me!

Got some free tickets to the bull riding event tonight...I think since I got on my last bull I have only been to about a handfull of rodeos. It used to drive me nuts that I wasn't getting on them anymore.

Should be fun to see some of the guys I used to ride with that are still going down the road.

No comments: