Monday, April 09, 2007

$58 Surround Sound System?

We had a fun weekend.

Easter activities, church, family, seeing new born calves bucking in the field, sub-10 degree temps, ice re-forming on the lake in spots...you could feel spring in the air...or at least until you went outside.

Easter weekend...the weekend we are reminded of Christ's death and Resurrection...I went through a sort of death and new life in the last few days. About 2 weeks ago I was "sick to DEATH" of working on the kitchen, and just wanted to quit. This weekend was Resurrection Weekend in a couple of ways.

We moved out of the "kitchenette" and into the somewhat fully-functional kitchen.

Steph unpacked about 20 or so boxes of cups, plates, pans, cookie sheets, kitchen utensils and the decor that defines her kitchen and "coffee house" sitting area. She felt the new life of an almost finished project.

I did the important things like, hooking up the dining table light, the electric to the main panel, and placing some speaker wire on top of the cabinets to put our speakers and kitchen sound system up. We both felt some energy about the project.

Except the sound situation in the kitchen.

I'm not a speaker-Nazi like some, but I do like my music to sound rich and full, and the JVC speakers that we have had for years do the trick...until now. "They are just to big and ugly," said my loving wife.

So I pulled them, and last night we picked up a full surround sound system with CD/DVD player for the bargain price of $58. My initial thoughts were...for 58 bucks...how bad could it sound, I mean it has a sub-woofer. I hooked it up last night, and my thoughts changed to...how could they make it sound that bad?

I'm going to try to sneak the old JVC speakers back up there...think she'll notice

Maxim and Brecken might have just inherited a surround sound system for their play room.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AGAIN - Thomas, Thomas, Thomas! ! The quote, "I'm not a speaker-Nazi like some, but I do like my music to sound rich and full". When you turn that "STUFF" up to 150 decibals it really does not matter what it sounds like, "RICH AND FULL" does not come to my mind, it is only N-O-I-S-E, at best. You listen to Steph, you are not in your College Boars Nest, you are in "STEPH's KITCHEN", not yours, remember rule #1 about marriage 101.

One more observation from an OLD DUFFER, you scare the what gee-bees out of me when you talk about connecting wires to the main entrance box. Just because you work for (put in time at) Northwestern does not make you an electrician anymore than watching a football game makes you a Quarterback.

Anonymous said...

Tom...you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night didn't you...that's good enough to wire a main power panel!!

Anonymous said...

hey thought you was going to put some pictures on this one. thats how i know how to hang cabinets. i stayed in a holiday inn one time. skip

Anonymous said...

Tom,
DO NOT sacrifice on sound. Pretty sure I'm an authority in this area.

Hub

Glanzer77 said...

Verlie...I'm gonna go with your son's advice on this one. I am getting better speakers for the kitchen.

Bose makes some nice small speakers, and Paul Harvey endorses them, you know who he is, right. That real old guy on the radio. I'm sure my Lawrence Welk CD's will sound sweet on a Bose system!

Thanks for the backing, HUB!

Glanz

Anonymous said...

OK Tommy, if you are going to listen to Lawrence Welk, go ahead and get GOOD speakers, that's an altogether different situation, he is soooooo bad that even the best would not be good enough to bear listening to him. Yes, listen to Hub, I have known him for almost 38 years and have seen him have 2 large, 12inch speakers mounted behind the rear seat back rest, and at least 4 or even 6 smaller 6inch speakers mounted into the rear deck, plus an amp or two and another car battery installed in the trunk to drive all the "STUFF". Come to think if it maybe that is why he never could hear his Dad when he spoke to him, then nor now, do you suppose? Maybe he can't hear anymore or don't want too, suppose?