Friday, March 02, 2007

Blizzard - Schmizzard.

We are in the middle of a wicked blizzard. I think we are over 20 inches of accumulation in some areas.

I’m just glad the power stayed on.

We left the lake on Thursday morning...I didn't want Steph and the boys stuck out there without me, in case our rural electric company's feeble system would collapase.

We did forget a couple of key items...the Playstation 2, my snowboard and Star Wars movies.

So I have compiled a list of things to do during a blizzard.


Shovel snow

Take lots of pictures
In fifty years your grandkids will want to know how much snow “a lot” really was. Take pictures of yourself skiing to the grocery store because, come on, nobody would believe that...I actuall think when I was younger my dad did that once.

Watch people get stuck

Help people get unstuck

Do a flip into a snow bank, then watch your son try the same thing...only it usually ends up looking more like he is diving into a swimming pool and just bounces off the hardpack.

Throw snowballs at your wife.

Throw your kids into a snowbank...this is very stress-relieving, and the kids like it.

Sled down your driveway.

Snowblow other people's driveways...the widows, orphans and in general everyone you want to love you, and proclaim you as the best neighbors ever.

Stay over night at your parents house...if this is possible...this is a great way to pass the time.

Buy a bunch of snacks, pizza and drinks and invite everyone to your house for coverage of the Ididarod 2007 which starts on Saturday....someday I will own a sled dog team.

Listen to the Beach Boys and Jack Johnson...nothing warms the soul like "surf music".

Hopefully we will get back to the lake on Saturday afternoon.

Hey family, I'll be right home after work, I just have to stop at the DQ for a cookie dough blizzard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on now Thomas, I can remember just last year when the FEEBLE company you are working for left a lot of Huron without power for some time. I think REA very reliable.

Help me out here Skipper Ole Buddy!

skip said...

i agree with verlie. if it was so bad you'd run your own line to the lake. how come verlie and me are the only comments you get back?? are we the only ones lokking at this site????

Anonymous said...

good thing you have daddy to run to

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous, at least he has better things to do than read this blog at 6 in the morning

Anonymous said...

i remember dad having cross crountry skiis that for some reason i thought was related to uncle bob having them and some huge winter storm when we lived on mcdonald drive.

but that was long ago. but i'm sure that those Xcountry skiis haven't been used since mcdonald drive, if ever!

while you were getting 20 inches of snow we were getting an inch of rain in a full blown thunderstorm!

Anonymous said...

These youngsters think a 10" snow storm is some historic event. Verlie, Skip and I can remember back to the good ole days out on the farm when those REA poles looked like fence posts sticking out of the snow. I remember one winter sledding off the top of the ole horse barn at Sunflower rural grade school right on to a huge snow bank into the pasture north of the school. In fact, just to have electric service was a real treat. Oh well, Its hard to image tough times when all youv'e known is 4-wheel drives, snow blowers, and I-pods. Back in the good ole days if you got stuck you just made a call on the "party line" and 5 other farmers would be over to help dig you out. e-mail is so slow compared to that kind of phone service!!! We do enjoy the boys when they come though!!!