Friday, January 26, 2007

Visitor #1,000....Uncle Skipper?

If you visit the Living On Liquid website often you might have noticed the "hit counter" at the bottom of the page. On some computers it won't show up, but on some it will...anyway, on Jan. 21, 2007 it rolled over to 1,000.

Part of the program that logs the hits also keeps a record of the location of the server from which computer generated the hit. Meaning...I can pretty much see where people who visit my website are from. There are a handful of pretty regular visitors to the LOL blog, 2 from California, my father-in-law from Indiana who's server lists him as a visitor from MLPS, and about 3 regulars from Kansas...one of those in the Garden City area...that would be Uncle Skip.

I think he hits the site almost every day. When I checked the counter and found out that number 1,000 was from Garden City I was pretty sure that either it was Skipper or my cousin Kent that was visitor number 1,000...I gotta believe that during the time of day that it was hit it was Skipper, because most people with lives don't surf the Internet at 3:41 pm...only retired dudes who wear sweatpants all day long have the ability to hold Internet surfing hours like that!

I am pretty hard on Skipper, cause he raised me that way. You see, Uncle Skipper was the inventor of the BARN BURNER. Every birthday Uncle Skip would journey to your house to deliver your birthday spankings...the last one was the Barn Burner. Don't remember if they hurt, but I think we all remember fearing the Skipper.

He terrorized us as kids, teenagers and now as grown adults! Any visit of his to this day, I have to stay on my toes.

I have got him good a couple times, once on a camping trip I put a whole bunch of big pine cones under his sleeping bag, and the other was the best...he was a foreman at a plant in Huron and got to park his new Chevy pick-up right by the door. One morning I snuck out to the plant and put a For Sale sign on it that said, "$5,500 or best offer call Skip at ....". It worked out pretty good too, because several people came into the plant asking why he was selling his pick-up for so little.

A few years ago, Skipper turned 60, and I was going to place an ad in the Garden City newspaper to sell his truck once again, but Skipper got sick and ended up in the hospital for a few months. He is a fighter and is still alive and kicking. Lesser men would have died.

We are extremely happy to have The Skipper around every now and then in the Beadle County area, and he eats our food, messes with my boys and heads back to G.City.

If Skipper was number 1,000 it is fitting that he be honored on this website with a posting all about his influence in my life.

By the way Skip, the 4th of July is fast approaching, and I have big plans for you! You need to be on your toes!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I have to say in response to this is 2 words that still haunt me to this day:

The Claw.

skip said...

i miss those old days. but i guess the nephews have FOND memories of the uncle. i forgot about the claw but it still works. don't have to much planned on the fourth because i never come in 2nd. so be ware

Anonymous said...

You would think that an IMPORTANT EXECTIVE would get the dates correct and not still use Jan 21, 2006 when he meant Jan 21, 2007, referring to the 1000 hit. Well, I guess it is hard to get GOOD help these days. It is not like it used to be when Skipper and I grew up.

VJ

skip said...

i remember when the old boy couldn't find his billfold on a bullriding trip. it was right where he put it after he about tore the car apart. ha ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

Not only did Skipper deliver your BARN BURNER birthday spankings but every(almost) Sunday after church our parents would drag us to the BARN resturant where they had a burger named The BARN BURNER so you were reminded every week that the birthday spankings were coming! The burger was good. Thanks Skip!!