Monday, September 25, 2006

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Summer has come and passed,
The innocent can never last,
Wake me up when September ends. -Green Day-

My MP3 player, constantly on shuffle, found the perfect song yesterday on my drive from the lake house back into Huron. Green Day's "When September Ends".

This summer was out of control, and September has been a blur. Steph and I were talking last night about how we didn't get to wakeboard very much, or put our usual 60 hours on the boat...althought the time we did spend on the water was among the most memorable...the Yankton trip with 12 people in Meyer's boat and the monster wake that followed us that day, the "eternal summer" weekend at Pickstown, (maybe the best water I have ever rode), riding behind the jet ski with Decker and Meyer (perma-smile fun), the sinking of the Malibu...yeah we sunk my cousin's Malibu...long story. As soon as I am done with the counseling I will write about it!!!

This weekend was productive, the floor joist is completed, and half of the "pink board" is now in place, all the nails in the floor that have been tripping me are pulled. I replaced a load bearing post where the door from the garage used to be, and put in a header that opened up the staircase area going to the family room. Gusset-plated the base of the scissor trusses, and put in another window. Steph prepped the wood floor in the family room, all the staples, nails and tack board should be gone and we plan to finish the floor this week...plan being the key word.

The garage/shed/shop was organized and the boat is under a roof now! After church on Sunday, we grilled BBQ Chicken, put on some Bob Marley and chilled out on the deck. It was nice to be outside after 4 straight days of rain.

I never really realized how much I feed off the weather, Steph says I am in tune with nature that way...on Saturday it was rainy again, and I must have been putting off a sour vibe, because she asked me like 10 times before 9:30 a.m. if something was wrong. There wasn't anything wrong except, I hadn't seen the SUN for 86 hours!

It is weird how my mind changes with the weather...I feel like the wakeboard season is over, and my mind has been thinking about snow. I have been dreaming of hockey and snowboarding/skiing trips to Big Sky, Bridger Bowl, T-Peak and G-Bear. Grandma...can you take the boys for a few days...when September ends? Steph and I are going to the mountains...but not before we finish the house at the lake.

No comments: