Monday, September 10, 2007

When I'm 66?

I could be handy, mending a fuse
When your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds
Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me,
will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?

"When I'm 64." The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

My reference to a very obscure Beatles song this morning has everything to do with one of the greatest "reply comment posters" of this website.

Yes, somebody in the Living On Liquid Nation has a birthday and he will be 66 this week...UNCLE SKIPPER!

I am fighting myself on how I should wordsmith today...do I completely rip him with old jokes, and stories of his past, and say how his beautiful bride should actually be getting the presents for his birthday, because she puts up with him...or should I brag on how cool, hip and not as old as his old age he seems.

UM...upon further review, we will make fun of him...that's what he would want anyway.

I helped this uncle move one time...I didn't realize how old he was until I found a stage coach ticket in one of is dresser drawers.

Skipper told me once he was afraid nobody would remember him when he is gone...I can think of several reasons he'll be remembered...albeit, none of those would be good reasons to remember someone.

In most people the left side of the brain does one thing and the right side does others....however in Skippers case, neither side seems to do a whole lot.

But, what do you expect from a guy that was born in the front seat of an Edsel?

Skipper has never been known to take his work home with him...but how could he, he never takes his work to work!

Most of you don't know how Skipper's children came to live with him...it happened the first time he went to a theatre. He read the sign..."Adults $5.00,children $2.50. So Skipper whipped out a $5 and said, "Give me 1 boy and 1 girl."

Skipper is in shape for someone as advanced in years as he is, but there was a time when he put on a lot of weight, but was pretty much in denial about the spare tire he was hauling around...he would go into clothing stores and ask if they had a shirt he liked in extra, extra medium.

Skipper was the only person in the history of the Kansas City mall that had to be rescued from the escalators during a power outage.

Since the move down to Garden City, Skipper thought he should learn Spanish so he could communicate with most of his neighbors...he bought a record that was supposed to teach him how to speak Spanish...he fell asleep one night with the record on, and it started to skip...now he can only stutter in Spanish.

Skipper was a big help when we did the remodel to our house, he helped with the cupboards, and also with some electricity...but there was this one light switch that he installed, and it doesn't do anything. Every so often Steph would flick it on and off just to check. Yesterday, We got a call from a woman 3 homes down. She said, "Cut it out."

Grandpa Jake took the boys and son-in-laws to the Indy 500 a few years back...Skipper's only comment was..."If those drivers would have left earlier in the day, they wouldn't have to drive that fast."

Skipper has a smart mouth sometimes, and it gets him in trouble...a cop stopped him for speeding. He said, "Why were you going so fast?" Skipper said, "See this thing my foot is on? It's called an accelerator. When you push down on it, it sends more gas to the engine. The whole car just takes right off. And see this thing? This steers it." (He got a ticket that day)

Skipper is a procrastinator. He didn't get his birthmark until he was eight years old.

I obtained a copy of Skippers application that he filled out to work at the lumber yard and on part where it said, "In Case Of Emergency Notify". He wrote "Doctor".

OK...I'm done.

Skipper...Happy 66th!

4 comments:

skip said...

thanks old boy i hope you make it 66. i'm okay now the pill finally went down. i'll have to think of something to do back to you. maybe you'll lose your billfold again. good old days following the bull rider around. he done a good job tell they opened the gate. later

Anonymous said...

Whoa, whoa, there Tommie G.
You "CANNOT" talk to my buddy Skipper like that. Neither one of us are that OLD that the both of us couldn't be at your place in a flash and take you out behind the woodshed and lay some wood on your behind, get what I mean? Apparently your daddy "DID NOT" do enough of that when you were growing up. I think WE could still straighten you up, but it could take more than one time and if "WE" did not do it really soon it could be wayyyyyyy to late and it could never be done.

I'm done now.

skip said...

on the other hand tommie old boy i need a freezer moved heard you had experience doing this

Anonymous said...

Tom, I think your comments were equal to a good old Barn Burner. Happy Birthday Uncle Skip!

Brent