Monday, July 09, 2007

I'm quoted in USA Today...today.

I got a call on Sunday from a reporter...I'm on call 24-7 for my job, anyway it's a reporter from the national paper USA Today. He is inquiring about electricity usage and other things of the sort that surround utilities during a heat wave.

Then we start small talking and he asks what we are doing to beat the heat, and I told him that we live on a lake, and spending a small fortune in boat gas...real environmentally friendly answer, I know.

He got all excited about that and asked what lake...yada, yada, yada, and as a reporter I knew that he now cared less about the great utility quotes I gave him, and he was going to use the personal quotes...here is the story...USA TODAY.

By the way, to stay hip with all the "green" folks out there...to keep my family's carbon footprint down, I am keeping my house at 78 degrees, the shades are drawn, not using the stove and I changed my filter yesterday, among other things. We also plan on going to the state park that the SD GF&P doesn't take very good care of and will pick up garbage.

Until they make a hybrid boat motor, I guess that is my one vice with wasteful fossil fuels.

Also another way you can save the earth...buy a Nalgene, I have used one for years. Also after a report I watched last night on ABC, I will use mine even more. Bottled water like Evian, Clearly H2O, Ice Mountain and any other plastic bottled watter is killing the earth. Nalgene actually has a program called Refill Not Landfill to address concerns about plastic bottle waste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

QUOTE: "what we are doing to beat the heat, and I told him that we live on a lake, and spending a small fortune in boat gas." Now Thomas, have you thought about converting your boat motor to Natural Gas and using that from Northwestern, you might even get that for FREE being you work for the Company, or do you not like FREE?

Anonymous said...

Regarding the bottled water. I live in Des Moines, Iowa and a friend of mine doesn't like drinking the tap water because of the pesticides and fertilizer in the water from farm run off. I can see his point, even thought the water is treated. He has a fondness for Fiji brand water. I am dumbfounded why Fiji needs to bottle their water and ship it thousands of miles across the ocean and then across trucks to the middle of America to quench our thirst. I have a filter on my faucet and use a Nalgene for my on the go water needs and I seem to do just fine.