Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Papas and fishing.

I've tried...honestly, I have tried to be a fisherman, but the instant the line gets tangled or after the first 10 minutes the fish don't bite...I ask myself, "Why am I doing this?", I can buy fish at the market or at Red Lobster.

For the record, I don't mind fishing out of a boat, for a few hours, with the right people, and if it is not super windy...boat fishing feels like you are doing something and the view changes, but fishing off of our dock, just doesn't suit me or my active lifestyle.

Last Tuesday, Grandpa Roger had just got back from a 2 day fishing trip to the river with some of his buddies and when he got to our house, he wanted to fish some more?!?! He and Maxim were throwing crank baits off the dock and within 5 minutes Roger caught a fish...so being the great Grandpa that he is, he let out some slack and let Maxim reel the super nice Walleye on to the dock.
The picture says it all...Roger's pride, and Maxim's "holy cow...that fish is big, and slimy, and a little scary."
He still talks about the big fish he caught.
We actually released that one back into Byron for someone else to catch. Maxim is a big nature lover. I was actually thinking about getting it mounted, then I was reminded that Maxim once told Steph and I, "Animals belong in the wild, not dead on your walls"...that is another story.
I have no idea if my Grandpa or Great Grandpa fished, I assume they didn't since neither my dad or his brother fish...so it seems a few generations of non-fishermen were the legacy of that. Now that we live on a lake, I guess that might change. Who knows instead of watching our boys compete in the World Wakeboard Association, we might be watching them on Bass Masters Tournaments!
Whatever they want to do...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice catch Roger, er Maxim!
Tom, I am with you there, I would rather fish at Red Lobster or the grocery store than on the water. In fact if I ever would fish I would NOT bait the hook for fear I would have to do something with the ugly, slimmy thing I caught.