Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Out of the Comfort Zone.

I think it is good for kids and parents to get out of their comfort zone...like Maxim who usually would be happy to play Legos and Star Wars in the quiet of his room, but 3 or 4 times a week he straps on his hockey "armor" and works up a sweat with his teammates on the ice.  Steph has been pushing her comfort zone as well, she usually just verbally helps with the creative process at LakeHaus Productions and I would do the designing.  This Christmas season every card that is going out of the door is a Stephanie Glanzer original.  She designed all of them except one and that was a redesign of a card I built a few years ago.  Kolby's comfort zone is pushed by actually making her play with toys most girls play with and getting her out of pajamas by 11:30 a.m. every day.

Brecken is pretty much an All-Around...he is comfortable in a lot of situations and is able to adapt to what is going on and fits in almost instantly.  He has also been a bit on the naughty side lately...Maxim would say that Brecken is falling into the "ways of the Dark Side." (think Darth Vader voice there)  So with all that has been going on we decided to give Brecken a little one on one attention at least once a week...believe me he gets it way more than that, but this will be special...so from tonight on Brecken and I will go to wrestling practice on Tuesday nights, and every once in a while we will catch a Thursday night practice as well.

I will tell you that I only know wrestling from what I learned while covering it while I was a TV anchor.  I do remember the first ever wrestling match I went to I had no idea what was going on, how to score it or why there weren't any "turnbuckles" or "ropes" around the wrestling mats. 

So Brecken and I will be trying out a new venture together...way our of our comfort zones.  He is scared, he will be nervous and he will probably cling to my leg for 2 or 3 weeks, but I think it will fit him just right....I won't let him know, but I'll probably have a few of the same feelings he does the first few weeks.

No comments: