Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mountains move me.

I'm in Montana again...have been since Sunday. I really do love Montana. This week's trip has reinforced that again.

I flew into Missoula, drove to Kalispell, then drove back to Missoula and down to Butte. Kalispell/Whitehall is the farthest I have been North and West in MT, and the Northern Rockies are beautiful. Flathead Lake is EPIC.

Since the bulk of readers of this blog have some connection to South Dakota, think of the Black Hills on steroids, specifically the Sylvan Lake area.

I went to Big Mountain...not quite the vibe you get at Big Sky, but very nice indeed. I would love to come back to mountain bike and climb in this area sometime. I also would love to kayak down some of the local rivers. Every Subaru Outback that I see has either a kayak on the rack or an empty rack.

I was in Missoula on Tuesday...downtown is like a giant Starbucks. Very progressive and outdoor savvy town. Right up our family's ally.

The mountains, the rivers...the wild that is Montana is what moves me each time I come here. I think it's funny when I tell people I have to travel to Montana for work and they say..."oh, sorry about that" or "what a boring place to have to go to". I smile and say I enjoy it, knowing that they have never been to Montana or just don't like the outdoors.

Here is my plug...if you are planning a vacation this summer...head to Yellowstone National Park (yes, I know that is in Wyoming) get out of your car and walk around. Then drive North, go to Big Sky, even if you are there in the summer...get out and hike around, ride the chair lift, then hike to the top of Lone Peak. Go to Glacier National Park...along the way stop in Missoula, Butte go to Kalispell...it's a trip you won't forget. Beauty everywhere.

I sound like a travel agent.

By the way just to balance this rambling of wanders around the Big Sky State...My loving wife was stuck at home, on a frozen lake with Mr. Energy (Maxim) and a sick, puking baby. Oh yeah...today....our Anniversary...9 years ago we got married on a super snowy South Dakota day.

For our 10 year anniversary I'll take her to Montana.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to rub it in, but hiking and kayaking are a lot of fun in the big sky state.

However, mountain biking in big sky country isn't that much different than the rapid area and much more congested actually.

Take it from someone who has been there a few times. I recommend the candian bacon, pineapple, mandrain orange and almond pizza at mackenzie river pizza.

Anonymous said...

Look out Skipper, the boy is in Montana again. If he wakes up and does not know where he is again, well, I am starting to think that maybe he is into the "bubbly" or something when he goes to Montana. Poor Steph has to stay home with the energy machine and the pucker, I wonder if she isn't thinking this LOVE thing over a time or two by now.

skip said...

i agree with verlie. how can you get anything done when you sit and dream about the mountians all day?? sounds like job with not much to do

skip said...

i forgot to mention about writing this during the day when he should be working. i'll have to get him in line this summer. when i pull my stunts on him

Glanzer77 said...

Boy...Mr. Crabby Pants in Garden City sure loves to give me a hard time! I thinkn that why I like him and his buddy Verlie so much.

Props to Anonymous you are right MacKenzie River Pizza is uber good food.

Montana Tom said...

You done good! You covered a couple of the hundreds of things to do and see in NW Montana.  There are not many websites that focus on Flathead Lake, yet there is so much to see and experience.  No one should visit NW Montana and not have Glacier National Park on the itinerary.   Even if one is not a hiker, fisherman or an outdoors type of person - all will appreciate the breathtaking beauty of this area.  So much to see and do... maybe that's why they call us "The Treasure State"! Congrats on your blog, from a MT blogger!

skip said...

just doing my job giving my old buddy tom a bad time