Thursday, April 04, 2013

Singing Her To Sleep

Kolby use to go to bed really easy...you would just put her in bed and she was out.  Then she discovered that she could climb out of bed, and go do what she wanted.

Several times we have found her sleeping on our floor, on the steps by her room, or just playing at 12:30 A.M.  She uses every excuse to not stay in bed...UNLESS...I read/sing her to sleep.  There are a few old John Denver songs that a publishing company turned into children's books...and she loves them.

So I sing/read the books, Country Roads, Grandma's Feather Bed, and we always end the night with Sunshine On My Shoulders.  She usually asks about John Denver because there is a photo of him and his son Zach in the back of the book.

Last night she wanted to know if John Denver wrote the song for her....in a way, I told her, "yeah, he did."  She thought that was cool and then promised she would stay in bed.

10 minutes later she was sleeping with Steph on the couch.  So I hauled her off to bed when I went to sleep. This morning I woke her up by singing, "Sunshine on my Shoulders"...she said, "Daddy, guess what...I stayed in my bed all night."  Well, kind of....and I threw her up on my shoulder and sang again, "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy.......

No comments: