Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Bear Grylls...Man vs. Wild

Over the long weekend we had some pretty nice weather so I decided to drop in the kayak and go for an early winter paddle.

When I got about a half mile from shore I thought I would hate to fall in the water today. I paddled for about a half hour and watched the geese swarm the lake. As I got back to the house I realized that my usual method of getting out of the kayak was not available due to the fact that I took out the dock and my ladder for the winter months ahead.

I thought of a couple different options and the best one seemed pretty easy, until I tried to stand in the kayak and push off of the seat to get up to our permanent dock. Kayaks don't set still in the water and it takes no force at all to move them. The kayak slid out from under me and I caught myself on the dock...then my hand slipped and I fell backwards, "Neste' Plunge Style" into the water which couldn't have been more than 33 degrees.

I don't remember much right after I fell in as I went into shock right away, but I drug the kayak out of the water and then ran up to the house dripping wet and as cold as I have been in a long time. (Donnie H. if you are reading this, I was as cold as the time we sided that old farm house of Brad T's in the dead of winter.)

I pounded on the window and waited for Steph to come to the patio door to rescue me. It took her a while, so while I waited I remembered an episode of Man vs. Wild where Bear fell into cold water and when he got out he stripped down to his gitch to warm up...you know what...it works.

Steph and the family had a good laugh at me and I took a long hot shower.

No comments: