Tuesday, July 14, 2009

You Fill Up My Senses...

John Denver's song "Annie" has a line that says, "you fill up my senses...like the mountains in spring time, like a walk in the rain"...and on and on. It's a song about being in love and comparing it to the rush and emotional feeling you get while experiencing nature.

That song comes to my head a lot when I'm outside...climbing, kayaking, hiking, skiing, biking or mowing the yard for that matter. Today that song was in my head for the wrong reasons.

As loyal readers know I bike to and from work a lot, I hadn't rode for about 4 days so I got up this morning a little early, because of the head-wind I would have to pedal into, and hit the still wet roads.

It has been raining almost every day here in Beadle county, and things are saturated to say the least. So when I set out to ride today, I was looking forward to smelling some fresh cut hay fields with a little rain on them to make them more "smelly". The funny thing was...for the entire 18 miles this morning, I smelled a bad combo of: wet, stale carpet, and hunting dogs fresh out of a slew.

I wrote it off to the fact that the rain has been falling for weeks and everything is a little musty...so thanks to the rain for "filling up my senses" with some funky earth smells all morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't know verlie looks like he should get off his chair at work. like we used to. didn't have to ride a bike to keep in shape