Friday, May 29, 2009

Wrapping Up May Birthdays

Today is the day we celebrate my cousin Jon's birthday...as I blogged about before May is a busy month for our family and extended family as far as birthday's are concerned.

Jon's, which is today, puts the end to our run which averaged about 2 per week.

So Happy Birthday to the guy that was basically the brother I never got from my parents. Jon and I have stories upon stories to tell our boys about things we did when we were young.

Here is one...I don't even know if Jon remembers this or not...we must have been about 10 or so, and I saw the Lone Ranger movie, and in the movie the Lone Ranger and Tonto cut their hands and shake hands to become blood brothers (long before the HIV epidemic). I always thought it would be cool to have a brother...Jon has 2 so this wouldn't have been a big deal to him...so my only alternative was to have a blood brother.

I don't remember the circumstances of how both of us were bleeding at the same time, (which probably happened more than once), but we both had little tiny cuts on our fingers and we mashed the tiny splattering of blood together to officially become brothers of blood.

So Happy Birthday to my Blood Brother...how's that for an obscure childhood memory?

3 comments:

Gloria said...

Hey Tom - I think Grandma O could tell lots more stories about you and Jon.. seems like she always has a new one after repeating an old one : )

Anonymous said...

Now we know the reason you boys are like you are. We thought it was bad parenting skills, but really it was a bad blood mix. No really we love you guys. What would we do without you, and your offspring are the joy of our lives. Happy birthday Jon. Grandma Penny

Anonymous said...

It's true we are blood brothers. You just don't forget something like that. Thanks for the birthday wish. Jon