Tuesday, November 04, 2008

High School Football Reunion

As most of you know I spent almost 10 years in the TV business anchoring sports...just like Sarah Palin, but I was in a bigger market than Wasilla, AK.

The local sports scene became such a big part of my existence I never thought I would disconnect from sports at that level...boy was I wrong. After leaving TV in late 2004 I also left the high school sports scene. I didn't go to a prep level event for almost a year, and then only went to a couple of game where Steph's relatives were playing. (reffing hockey is excluded from this)

Last night as I was heading into Sioux Falls I realized that it was the quarterfinals of the high school football playoffs, so I made a couple of calls and I ended up watching the Lincoln/Roosevelt game from the sidelines just like old times.

It was the first high school football game I had been to in almost 5 years! It was a fun homecoming of sorts...running into old friends, colleagues and coaches. I kind of forgot how much fun it was to be right there on the sidelines.

I actually followed the guys back to KSFY and hung out for the broadcast of the sports that night...it was fun but it also made me realize I don't miss the TV business as much as I thought I did.

I am glued to the TV again tonight as it looks like "CHANGE" will be in our future as far as the new President is concerned.

No comments: