Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Kayaking Byron.

I have pirated our neighbor's kayaks. I planned on returning them on Sunday when I borrowed them, but it is almost easier to keep them in our boat house, because I have been using them more than they do.

Last night Steph, the boys and I kayaked for about 2 hours...3.5 miles to be exact...using my mapping tool. It was somewhat chilly, but we had hats and long sleeves, and when the wind died down it was perfect.

Kayaking is so different than what we usually use the lake for. A more organic experience, you see things you would have never seen before. We scared a fox up the shoreline...Maxim got to see him running over the rocks as he ran away from us. He didn't know they were more orange than red.

The highlight of the night was when we found his Dora The Explorer ball washed up on shore about 2 miles from our house. It had blown off the dock late last fall and we had no chance of retrieving it. We rescued it from the rocky shore and he stowed it away in the hull of the kayak...somewhere there is still a basketball of ours out there too...we will try to find that on another adventure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha...your 'finding things washed up on the shore' story reminds me of a lost kneeboard ordeal. You'll have to ask Dad and Kris about that one...I wasn't very happy that they lost my new kneeboard but it turned out to be great for me in the end cuz I got that fancy yellow one that I have. WooHoo...counting down the days till I can use it. Now if only it would warm up over there!!

Anonymous said...

Good thing I read this...I was just about to call in and say our Kayaks were stolen. ByronBum

P.S. I'm in Pierre with my pickup. Do you want me to bring two Kayaks home for you?

Glanzer77 said...

I am pretty sure the officer responding to stolen property around Byron would feel so bad about taking away the only joy that her 2 little neighbor boys have that she would just issue a warning! Then STRONGLY suggest that the kayaks be returned to their proper place.

Thanks ByronBum!

Anonymous said...

Borrowing, taking, without permission constitutes S-T-E-E-L-I-N-G. Anyway that is what my BIBLE tells me. This needs an act of repentance and then not doing it again! CAPRENDEE Thomas??

Anonymous said...

To add insult to injury...the reality is that the kayaks in question are being held hostage in a hermetically sealed boathouse. There is a secret code to the boathouse that allows access, which the "true" owners of the kayaks do not have access to...however the babysitter does. What's wrong with this picture? The old adage "possession is 9/10 of the law" is TV fodder. Release the kayaks or relinquish the code!!! Disgruntled Neighbor :-)

Anonymous said...

Just be glad they are locked up and not out floating around next to his lost basketball somewhere.