Monday, May 05, 2008

4 OT's

I am back from the dead...or I feel like it.

The Olympic Training Center was a great experience and ultimately made me a better hockey official, but they ran us so hard in classroom and ice sessions that I feel like a zombie today...for more reasons than that.

Got back last night around 8:30 pm and played hard with the kids until bedtime, then Steph and I turned on the Stars vs. Sharks playoff game about half way through the 3rd period...the game was still tied up I was happy to see that I would catch the game winner and then go to bed.

Well the game winner happened sometime Monday morning...I fell asleep during the 3rd overtime and woke up to an infomercial.

4 OT's it took these 2 teams to decide a game. The Stars won the game and the series.

The end of the 3rd and, from what I remember, the 1st and 2nd overtime were some of the best periods of hockey I have watched in a while.

It made me look back on the weekend spent with Olympic athletes and us non-Olympic types in the same facility. You looked at these guys in the lunch area and instantly realized there was something different about them...something deeper than perfect bodies and athletic abilities...it was mental, a deep desire to win, to focus on something and not be satisfied until you get it.

Be it 4 OT's to make it to the next round of the playoffs, or being able to control your heart rate so you can steadily shoot 5 targets after cross-country skiing up hill 10K, I got a small understanding of what it takes to commit to being the best.

Now if I could just push myself a little harder to lose another 20lbs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was the best hockey game i have watched in a very long time. second only to the 2000 stanley cup 3OT clincher by Dallas. i'm sure the 80s were cool with gretzky and kurri and coffey and broten and cicarelli from what I remember at the old Met, but this game was spectacular through all 6 1/2 periods. imagine having to officate that game!

you should have made some coffee, that was worth staying up for!

Go Stars!!