Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day.

I have always been a bit of a tree hugger...I think I got it from my dad.

Steph and I will pass that love and respect the outdoors, wilderness and being in tune with nature, to our boys. I think it is already working.

I told you about the tree we had to cut down in the yard because it was growing into the overhead power lines and causing a general mess. Well, it was sitting on the trailer waiting to be hauled away, and last week Steph saw Maxim laying on the huge tree stump that was on the trailer. She didn't think much of it, until a while later she saw him hugging it, so she yelled outside to him to see if he was alright. He responded to her, "Yeah mom...I'm just saying goodbye to the tree."

It made us proud to think that he already has a respect for his surroundings.

With the price of gas, electricity, propane and all other energy products it has become pretty fashionable to be "green-minded", but actually being "green" is not always fashionable. Smaller cars, or biking to work, recycling, weatherizing your home, using energy smart products is all a challenge, but worth it.

A friend of mine was featured in the paper again for Earth Day...you can read his story here....or read his blog by following the link to Minus Car Project located on the right sidebar of this page.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also celebrated Earth Day at our house...I put 2.5 gallons of regular gas into my John Deere lawn tractor and pulled a dethatcher around my .65 acre civilized homestead and then sucked up all the dead vegitation. The earth around our homestead is much cleaner and greener now.
By the way...are you going to replace that tree you cut down on Arbor Day?

Brent

Glanzer77 said...

I also thought that I should replace that tree, but I am trying to reduce my carbon foot print for the future, so I think not planting a tree is helping the environment.

In 50 years when the next guy would be cutting down the tree I planted to replace the old one, I will save him chainsaw oil and gas, gas of driving to the dump site and the stump removal process...I know, I am forward thinking like that.

G

Anonymous said...

Tommy, you might be "FORWARD THINKING", but you are completely "FULL OF IT" too!!

verlie

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think you'd be alright planting the tree, because by the time the next guy would cut it down, the chainsaw will probably be running off of the Lake Byron Algae

Anonymous said...

verlie why are you being so nice to tommy?? are you going soft or what???