Monday, February 25, 2008

Hockey Season Comes To An End.

Hockey is over...now it is time for SPRING.

Since Steph and I will be in Phoenix for 10 days at the beginning of March my schedule won't allow for me to officiate any of the state hockey tournaments. So I reffed my last hockey game of the year last night.

It was a good year, I only had one really off game where I went into the locker room afterwards and called myself names, and offered myself some new glasses. Otherwise I felt I was always fair but firm.

I actually think being a hockey official prepares you to be a parent to boys. For instance, there are times when you have to hand out punishment, and there are times when you tell them to go ahead and drop the gloves for a little fight....and then step in to curtail the carnage.

Yes, even if it is a mis-match fight between a 5 year old and a 22 month old...sometimes fighting is needed, and the only way Brecken can earn his respect from his older brother.

I'll probably regret writing this in 8 years when one of them comes out of a brotherly-love fight with a broken tooth or black eye, but I know from experience growing up with a sister who could pound me that a lot is learned about life when you are pinned to the ground by your sibling with spit hanging out of their mouth ready to drop it on to your face.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sally sally sally

Anonymous said...

Ya I was probably only 8 at the time and that means Tom was 5. I am sure things changed pretty quickly. I will always remember the tourture he inflicted every Sunday after church!! Over all we were pretty tame!!
Love ya Tom, Sal

Anonymous said...

i would have let it drop with no problem