Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Dakota Outdoor Radio Show

Sometimes things just fall in your lap.

The other day I was minding my own business at the electricity factory, and an old friend Mike Henriksen called me to tell me of a new venture he was setting out to do, and wondered if I wanted to help out.

Henriksen is a Sioux Falls sports radio celeb, and a year ago he purchased the franchised SportsMax show from the late Tom Maxwell's widow. The SportsMax is an hour long sports talk show syndicated on several different radio stations through out S.D.

Back to the "fall in your lap" thing. Mike calls and wonders if I would be interested in being the host of The Dakota Outdoor Radio Show. I emphatically say YES...if my current company will let me have another job...that makes 4 if you count Hockey Ref, Construction Worker (on my own home), Utility Communications Dude (which pays the bills), and now a wannabe Tony Dean.

So I checked with my boss and got the green light. The show will start this fall and it won't be your average hunt and fish show. That has been done already. The format will follow a "anything goes" as long as it involves the outdoors. I might even do a RC Airplane show, who knows. Kayaking, hunting, trap shooting, rock climbing, downhill skiing, fishing, archery, hiking, mountain biking, star gazing, 4 wheeling...whatever. I think you get the picture.

The only thing that worries me is that when I was on TV I used to help Mike and his co-hort with their radio show, he always introduced me as one of those "pretty boy TV guys". I guess I'm not pretty anymore and I have a "radio face."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or how about 'wagon trains' for one of the activities you report on?? I bet most people have no idea that sort of thing goes on in SD. I happen to know a guy who's kinda into that sort of stuff if you're interested...I'm just kidding. How's the puddle? Audios. ~Amber

Anonymous said...

dude- if you need guest helper monkeys or need to test out stuff for climbing or biking, or need a few people to help on an outdoor adventure (oooh- idea- Mr. Greeno- teaches outdoor adventure in SF and is a legend, has gotten TONS of kids into the outdoors) trip out to the hills.... well, i'd be happy to help. And, if a sponsor happens to hook everyone up with a free 4 door rubicon, well... :) congrats- sounds fun.